Living in an apartment doesn’t mean that you have to give up your dream of owning a dog. There are several dog breeds that do well in small spaces and thrive as long as you properly care for them, give them enough exercise, and show them lots of love and attention.
- Pugs. With their cute wrinkled faces, curled tails and short hair, pugs are a popular breed for apartment owners, especially because they only grow to be about 18 lbs. They are also kid-friendly, very affectionate, and get along well with other dogs and even with cats.
- Bichon Frise. With their curly hair, the Bichon Frise is not as high-maintenance as they may look, but is very gentle and sweet, and great with children and other dogs. Highly trainable, this little dog needs lots of exercise to get rid of his extra energy. However, he may suffer from separation anxiety if left alone for long periods of time.
- Chihuahua. Weighing in at just 2 to 6 lbs, these tiny dogs make wonderful pets for apartment dwellers. Though they can be a little yippy, their sweet nature and loyalty make up for their shrill barks. Make sure to let them know you’re the boss, and watch them around other dogs since they tend to forget how tiny they are and will challenge a larger dog entering their territory.
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. This is one of the most gentle of any small dog breed and a wonderful family dog. Gentle, sweet natured, and laid-back, this breed is one of the best dogs for singles or families who live in an apartment.
- Boston terrier. Adorable sums up the Boston terrier in one word, with its large brown eyes, loving and affectionate manner, and playfulness. They’re pretty quiet dogs, but can be territorial if another dog invades their space.